Friday, April 4, 2014

Are You Divergent?

With the arrival of the book-based movie, Divergent, this means that there are some things to be discussed. I wasn't sure what I should talk about-the book or the movie-but I'm most positive that I'll talk about both, and also a bit of my viewpoint about dystopian fiction.  Anyway, are you Divergent?
I read Divergent the moment it came out! Divergent has such a neat story behind it and it truly just makes me overjoyed to read it.  I'm also kind of re-reading it right now because I'm seeing the movie very soon, and I'm getting pumped.

The Book
Oh my goodness, I love Veronica Roth's writing style.  She has a beautiful way of describing things and she just makes my day with her writing. She knows that you need to get right to the point for the story to captivate readers, but also knows that there is such thing as background.

Her idea for the book was fabulous.  If you can pin point the five things that can make or break a society and turning them into factions, then you have a great start for a perfect dystopian novel.   Also, her character development is kind of perfect.  I honestly LOVE Tris because her blend of selflessness and bravery pretty much adds up to the perfect hero.  She understands morals and sounds like such a cool cat. Probably because she is....Anyway, I haven't re-read the whole Divergent, and I totally forgot all the little specifics, so no spoilers.  Onto the movie....

The Movie
When I first saw the trailer for Divergent, I got pretty upset.  One, because Shaleene Woodley was playing Tris, and two, it just didn't feel right.  Anyway, after watching this action-packed and might I say quite a humorous movie, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was surprised when she rose above my standards.  It's said that if you have low expectations for something then it will always be great.  It's true. Anyway, my Alizah and I made inappropriate comments throughout the movie which quite honestly made my day.  Well, I give this movie a 4/5.

Dystopian Philosophy
I believe that a dystopian novel is like a teenager's bible.  Dystopian fiction is for teenagers because it is all about how characters are not understood and how their worlds are falling apart.  There are usually huge choices to be made in dystopian novels... Anyway, isn't that pretty much teenage years explained. Well, now that that's said, I must say adios.  I'm tired and want to sleep.

Credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment